Winamp: Play Your Multimedia Files for Free
One of the oldest mp3 software programs available online, Winamp has been downloaded and used by thousands of PC users. This program has evolved through the years and has made a lot of changes and improvements, which made it one of the most popular among its competitors.
According to their developer, Nullsoft, “Winamp is a free multimedia player made by Nullsoft. It supports numerous audio and video formats. It also plays streamed video and audio content, both live and recorded, authored worldwide. It has an extremely customizable media library, and allows you to rip and burn your favorite music CDs. Winamp has thousands of skins and plug-ins that allow you to change the look-and-feel of the player, as well as add new features. The player also has access to thousands of free songs, videos and online radio stations from SHOUTcast Radio and AOL Radio with XM.” As mentioned in their description, it is a free program. However, any user can go Pro for a small fee. This will provide unlimited CD ripping as well as MP3 encoding for them.
Every user can customize Winamp’s interface. A lot of skins are available online which allows you to use something that will be perfect for your personality and music choices. A lot of these skins are aesthetic so the programs functionality will not be affected in any way. The interface looks appealing to the eye and is also properly proportioned. All settings, buttons and preferences can be easily located and also are based on the traditional visuals making it very user friendly even for first time users. This program supports 60 different file formats and also has an Auto-Tagger.
Managing your playlist is also easy with Winamp. As soon as you launch the program, you will be provided with an option if you want to add your content manually or just import your iTunes library in a few clicks. As soon as the files are imported, they will be automatically categorized accordingly based on the tags of every file. You may also edit the tags of each file within your Winamp library. If in case you do not have any information about a file, just right-click on it and send it to Auto-Tag so Winamp can search for the right information about the selected track.
Other features of Winamp are listed below:
- Integrated spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope
- Track details: author, title, bitrate, sample rate, time, etc.
- Additional controls: position slider, balance, volume, equalizer, playlist, shuffle and repeat
- Runs in unobtrusive windowshade mode.
- Edit playlist using drag and drop
- Create and save new playlists or load a previous playlist.
- Edit song information via ID3 tag editor.
- Playlist shows current song duration and complete playlist duration for easy dubbing.
- Playlist can run without the main window, and includes mini-controls, time display, and visualization.
- Ten band graphic equalizer and built-in pre-amplifier
- Sort by title and filename or randomize.
- Create and save new pre-amplifier and equalizer settings or load previous setttings.
- Create and save song-specific pre-amplifier and equalizer settings.
- Browse Winamp´s Plugin and Skin collection to customize your copy of Winamp.
- Support for .wsz files in your skin directory as well as .zip files
- Bookmark playlists and SHOUTcast streams
- Basic controls: play, pause, stop, forward song, previous song, select new song
- All windows dock seamlessly.
- Get up to the minute in information on Winamp.
Overall, Winamp is a great free program that I highly recommend. It has a lot of practical features that provides a great listening experience for its users. Help and support is also easily available on the Internet. You may checkout the Hep page, the FAQ’s or you may also visit available forums if you will have any issues or concerns about how to troubleshoot or how to use the program.